Setting Up Trap
Place the trap approximately 20-30 feet away from outdoor living space and away from competing light sources. Ideally, this area will be in the shade 3-6 feet off of the ground, which is where mosquitoes are primarily found.
Run 24/7 during mosquito season
There’s no need to turn off your DynaTrap when you aren’t outside because this will just allow for mosquitoes and other insects to populate and gather when you aren’t around.
Empty cage every 1-2 weeks
If the cage of your DynaTrap is full, more mosquitoes won’t be trapped. Make sure the cage is emptied when necessary to make sure you’re getting the full benefits of your DynaTrap.
Replace light bulbs every 4 months
Every 3,000 hours, which is approximately every 4 months, you should replace your DynaTrap light bulbs to make sure your DynaTrap is attracting as many insects as possible. When the light becomes dim, less insects are pulled into the trap.
Remove standing water on your property
Standing water acts as a breeding ground for mosquitoes. The following tips below can help you reduce the amount of standing water in your area.
- Dispose of any tires.
- Drill holes in the bottom of recycling containers.
- Clear roof gutters of debris.
- Clean pet water dishes regularly.
- Check and empty children’s toys.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets.
- Change the water in bird baths at least once a week.
- Canoes and other boats should be turned over.
- Avoid water collecting on pool covers.
- Empty water collected in tarps around the yard or on woodpiles.
- Plug tree holes.
- Even the smallest of containers that can collect water can breed hundreds to thousands of mosquitoes. They don’t need much water to lay their eggs (bottles, barrels, buckets, overturned garbage can lids, etc.)